- Beware of Fake Charity Scams Relating to Hurricane Harvey
IR-2017-137, Aug. 29, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service today issued a warning about possible fake charity scams emerging due to Hurricane Harvey and encouraged taxpayers to seek out recognized charitable groups for their donations.
- Don't Take the Bait, Step 8: How to Start Protecting Clients, Businesses from Cybersecurity Threats
IR-2017-136, Aug. 29, 2017 – The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry today offered important tips for how tax professionals can get started protecting their clients and their business from cybersecurity threats.
- IRS Gives Tax Relief to Victims of Hurricane Harvey; Parts of Texas Now Eligible; Extension Filers Have Until Jan. 31 to File
IR-2017-135, Aug. 28, 2017 –– Hurricane Harvey victims in parts of Texas have until Jan. 31, 2018, to file certain individual and business tax returns and make certain tax payments, the Internal Revenue Service announced today.
- IRS Issues Urgent Warning to Beware IRS FBI Themed Ransomware Scam
IR-2017-134, Aug. 28, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service today warned people to avoid a new phishing scheme that impersonates the IRS and the FBI as part of a ransomware scam to take computer data hostage.
- San Diego IRS Tax Forum Registration Deadline is Aug. 29; Final Tax Forum for 2017
IR-2017-133, Aug. 24, 2017 – Tax professionals wishing to attend the IRS Nationwide Tax Forum in San Diego can save $115 by registering soon, according to the Internal Revenue Service.
- Don't Take the Bait, Step 7: Protect e-Services Accounts, EFINs
IR-2017-132, Aug. 22, 2017 – The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry today reminded tax professionals that they are responsible for protecting access to their IRS e-Services account and safeguarding their Electronic Filing Identification Number (EFIN) from thieves.
- IRS Seeks Applications for Advisory Committee for the Tax Exempt and Government Entities Division
IR-2017-131, Aug. 18, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service is seeking applications for vacancies on the Advisory Committee on Tax Exempt and Government Entities (ACT). The committee provides a venue for public input on relevant areas of tax administration.
- Don't Take the Bait, Step 6: Watch Out for the W-2 Email Scam
IR-2017-130, August 15, 2017 – The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry today urged tax professionals and businesses to beware of a recent increase in email scams targeting employee Forms W-2.
- IRS Reminds Truckers: For Most, Highway Use Tax Return Is Due Aug. 31; E-file Is a Convenient Filing Option
IR-2017-129, Aug. 10, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service today reminded truckers and other owners of heavy highway vehicles that, in most cases, their next federal highway use tax return is due Thursday, Aug. 31, 2017.
- IRS Begins Issuing Notices to Taxpayers whose ITINs Expire by End of 2017
IR-2017-128, Aug. 8, 2017 – The IRS began mailing letters this month to more than 1 million taxpayers with expiring ITINs and urges recipients to renew them as quickly as possible to avoid tax refund and processing delays.
- Don't Take the Bait, Step 5: Prevent Remote Access Takeover Attacks
IR-2017-127, Aug. 8, 2017 – The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry today reminded tax professionals that their entire digital network could be at risk for remote takeover by cybercriminals.
- Security Summit Alert: Tax Pros Warned of New Scam to Steal Their Passwords
IR-2017-126, Aug. 4, 2017– The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry today warned tax professionals to be alert to a new phishing email scam impersonating tax software providers and attempting to steal usernames and passwords.
- Don't Take the Bait, Step 4: Defend against Ransomware
IR-2017-125, Aug. 1, 2017 – The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry today warned tax professionals that ransomware attacks are on the rise worldwide as bad actors here and abroad infiltrate computer systems and hold sensitive data hostage.
- National Harbor IRS Tax Forum Registration Deadline is Aug. 8
IR-2017-124, July 28, 2017– Tax professionals wishing to attend the IRS Nationwide Tax Forum in National Harbor, Md., can save $115 by registering soon, according to the Internal Revenue Service.
- Don't Take the Bait, Step 3: Security Summit Safeguards Help Protect Individuals; Renew Focus on Curbing Data Breaches and Business Identity Theft
IR-2017-123, July 25, 2017 - The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry have made significant progress in the past two years against tax-related identity theft aimed at individuals but warned business identity theft is on the upswing.
- IRS Office of Appeals Pilots Virtual Service
IR-2017-122, July 24, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service Office of Appeals will soon pilot a new web-based virtual conference option for taxpayers and their representatives.
- Taxpayers Should Review Their Withholding; Avoid Having Too Much or Too Little Federal Income Tax Withheld
IR-2017-121, July 20, 2017 – The IRS today encouraged taxpayers to consider checking their tax withholding, keeping in mind several factors that could affect potential refunds or taxes they may owe in 2018.
- Don't Take the Bait, Step 2: Be Alert to Account Takeover Tactics
IR-2017-120, July 18, 2017 – The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry today warned tax professionals that account takeovers by cybercriminals are on the rise and practitioners increasingly are the targets.
- Don't Take the Bait, Step 1: Avoid Spear Phishing Emails
IR-2017-119, July 11, 2017 – The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry today warned tax professionals to beware of spear phishing emails, a common tactic used by cybercriminals to target practitioners.
- Security Summit Launches Education Campaign Aimed at Tax Pros; Warns Against Phishing Epidemic with “Don't Take the Bait” series
IR-2017-117, July 6, 2017 – The IRS today warned tax professionals to increase their computer security beware their inbox – specifically the successful email scams dubbed spear phishing that identify themselves as a friend, customer or company.
- IRS Launches Country-by-Country Reporting Pages on IRS.gov
IR-2017-116, June 30, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service today announced the launch of Country-by-Country Reporting pages on irs.gov.
- IRS Launches 2017 Summertime Tax Tip Program
IR-2017-115, June 30, 2017 – More than 719,000 taxpayers received plain-language Tax Tips directly to their email inbox during this past tax filing season and got the information they needed to help them file their taxes.
- Electronic Tax Administration Advisory Committee Issues 2017 Annual Report
IR- 2017-114, June 28, 2017 – The Electronic Tax Administration Advisory Committee (ETAAC) today held its annual public meeting and released its annual report to the IRS and the Congress, which includes numerous recommendations on improving electronic security in the tax system and fighting tax fraud related to identity theft.
- National Taxpayer Advocate Reviews Filing Season and Identifies Priority Areas and Challenges in Mid Year Report to Congress
IR-2017-113, June 28, 2017 – National Taxpayer Advocate Nina E. Olson today released her statutorily mandated mid-year report to Congress that presents a review of the 2017 Filing Season, identifies the priority issues the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) will address during the upcoming fiscal year, and contains the IRS's responses to each of the 93 administrative recommendations the Advocate made in her 2016 Annual Report to Congress.
- IRS Cautions Taxpayers to Watch for Summertime Scams
IR-2017-112, June 26, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service today issued a warning that tax-related scams continue across the nation even though the tax filing season has ended for most taxpayers.
- Security Summit Warns of New Phishing Email Targeting Tax Pros
IR-2017-111, June 23, 2017 – The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry today warned tax professionals to beware of phishing emails purporting to be from a tax software education provider and seeking extensive amounts of sensitive preparer data.
- IRS Website Provides Tools to Help Small Businesses Understand Employment Taxes
IR-2017-110, June 22, 2017 –The Internal Revenue Service reminds small businesses of the many free products available to help them understand and comply with the law.
- IRS Now Accepting Renewal Applications for ITINs Set to Expire by End of 2017
IR-2017-109, June 21, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service is now accepting renewal applications for the Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) set to expire at the end of 2017.
- IRS Warns of New Phone Scam Involving Bogus Certified Letters; Reminds People to Remain Vigilant Against Scams, Schemes this Summer
IR-2017-107, June 15, 2017 -– The Internal Revenue Service today warned people to beware of a new scam linked to the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS), where fraudsters call to demand an immediate tax payment through a prepaid debit card. This scam is being reported across the country, so taxpayers should be alert to the details.
- IRS Continues to Expand Taxpayer Services; Adds New Features to Taxpayers Online Account
IR-2017-106, June 13, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service announced today the addition of several new features to the online account tool first introduced late last year as part of the IRS's commitment to improve and expand taxpayer services.
- Interest Rates Remain the Same for the Third Quarter of 2017
IR-2017-104, June 9, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service today announced that interest rates will remain the same for the calendar quarter beginning July 1, 2017.
- IRS Approves First Group of Certified Professional Employer Organizations; More Expected in Coming Months
IR-2017-103, June 1, 2017 -- The Internal Revenue Service today issued notices of certification to 84 organizations that applied for voluntary certification as a Certified Professional Employer Organization (CPEO).
- For Letter Rulings and Similar Requests: Electronic Payment of User Fees Starts June 15; Replaces Paying by Check
IR-2017-102, June 1, 2017 – Beginning June 15, taxpayers requesting letter rulings, closing agreements and certain other rulings from the Internal Revenue Service will need to make user fee payments electronically using the federal government's Pay.gov system.
- Spring 2017 Statistics of Income Bulletin Now Available
IR-2017-101, May 30, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service today announced that the Spring 2017 Statistics of Income Bulletin is now available on IRS.gov.
- IRS Announces Three New Members for Advisory Committee on Tax Exempt and Government Entities
IR-2017-99, May 18, 2017
WASHINGTON– The Internal Revenue Service announced today the appointment of three new members of the Advisory Committee on Tax Exempt and Government Entities (ACT). ACT presents reports and recommendations to IRS leadership at a June 7 public meeting.
- For Hurricane Preparedness Week: IRS Offers Tips to Taxpayers Preparing for Hurricanes, Floods and Other Natural Disasters
IR-2017-98, May 9, 2017 – With Hurricane Preparedness Week in progress and the start of the Atlantic hurricane season looming on June 1, the IRS offered advice to taxpayers who may be affected by these types of storms, as well as other natural disasters.
- IRS: Home Office Deduction Often Overlooked by Small Business Owners
IR-2017-96, May 5, 2017 – The IRS today reminded small business owners who work from a home office that there are two options for claiming the Home Office Deduction.
- Registration Now Open for the 2017 IRS Nationwide Tax Forums
IR-2017-95, May 5, 2017 – Tax professionals can earn up to 18 Continuing Professional Education credits this summer at the IRS Nationwide Tax Forums.
- IRS Sees Millions of Tax Returns Last Days of Tax Filing Season
IR-2017-89, April 25, 2017 – The IRS today announced that the agency has received 135.6 million returns this year following a late surge of filings last week.
- IRS Issues Tips on What to do After the Tax-Filing Deadline
IR-2017-88, April 24, 2017 – Tax day has come and gone for most people, but some taxpayers may still be dealing with their taxes.
- IRS Seeks Applications for Information Reporting Program Advisory Committee
IR 2017-87, April 19, 2017 – The IRS is requesting membership nominations for the IRPAC.
- IRS Provides Tips on Determining If It's Really The IRS At Your Door
IR-2017-86, April 19, 2017 – The IRS has created a special new page on IRS.gov to help taxpayers determine if a person visiting their home or place of business claiming to be from the IRS is legitimate or an imposter.
- IRS Reminds Those with Foreign Assets of U.S. Tax Obligations; New Filing Deadline Now Applies to Foreign Account Reports
IR-2017-82, April 13, 2017 – The IRS today reminded U.S. citizens and resident aliens, including those with dual citizenship, to check if they have a U.S. tax liability and a filing requirement.
- Some Taxpayers Get Extensions without Asking; Taxpayers Abroad, in Combat Zones and Disaster Areas Qualify
IR-2017-83, April 14, 2017 – Even though April 18 is the tax-filing deadline for most people, some taxpayers in special situations qualify for more time without having to ask for it, according to the IRS.
- IRS Alerts Taxpayers with Limited English Proficiency of Ongoing Phone Scams; Urges Caution Before Paying Unexpected Tax Bills
IR-2017-78, April 10, 2017 – The IRS today warned taxpayers with limited English proficiency of phone scams and email phishing schemes that continue to occur across the country.
- Written Testimony of John A. Koskinen Before the Senate Finance Committee on the 2017 Filing Season and IRS Operations April 6, 2017
April 6, 2017 – Commissioner Koskinen provides a written statement on the 2017 Filing Season and IRS Operations.
- Private Collection of Some Overdue Federal Taxes Starts in April; Those Affected Will Hear First From IRS; IRS Will Still Handle Most Tax Debts
IR-2017-74, April 4, 2017 – Starting this month, the IRS will begin sending letters to a relatively small group of taxpayers whose overdue federal tax accounts are being assigned to one of four private-sector collection agencies.
- For Small Business Startups, IRS Explains New Option for Claiming Research Credit; Option Still Available for Those That Already Filed
IR-2017-70, March 30, 2017 – The IRS today issued interim guidance explaining how eligible small businesses can take advantage of a new option enabling them to apply part or all of their research credit against their payroll tax liability, instead of their income tax liability.
- Interest Rates Remain the Same for the Second Quarter of 2017
IR-2017-53, March 7, 2017 – The IRS today announced that interest rates will remain the same for the calendar quarter beginning April 1, 2017.
- IRS Makes Approved Form 1023-EZ Data Available Online
IR-2017-41, Feb. 22, 2017 – The IRS announced today that publicly available information from approved applications for tax exemption using Form 1023-EZ, Streamlined Application for Recognition of Exemption, is now available electronically for the first time.