- Free File Tops 50 Million Users; Saves Taxpayers $1.5 Billion Since Inception
IR-2017-68, March 28, 2017 – The IRS announced today that Free File recently surpassed 50 million users since the program started.
- IRS Reminds Seniors to Remain on Alert to Phone Scams during Tax Season
IR-2017-67, March 23, 2017 – With the 2017 tax season underway, the IRS reminds seniors to remain alert to aggressive and threatening phone calls by criminals impersonating IRS agents.
- IRS Announces Taxpayer Advocacy Panel Members Selected for 2017; Recruits Members for 2018
IR-2017-66, March 22, 2017 – The IRS announced today the selection of 24 new members to serve on the nationwide Taxpayer Advocacy Panel.
- Tax Time Guide: Get an Automatic Six More Months to File; Free File Now Available for Extensions
IR-2017-65, March 21, 2017 – The IRS reminded taxpayers today that if they are unable to file their tax returns by this year's April 18 deadline there is an easy, online option to get more time to complete their return.
- IRS, States and Tax Industry Warn of Last-Minute Email Scams
IR-2017-64, March 17, 2017 – The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry today warned both tax professionals and taxpayers of last-minute phishing email scams, especially those requesting last-minute deposit changes for refunds or account updates.
- IRS Reminds Taxpayers of April 1 Deadline to Take Required Retirement Plan Distributions
IR-2017-63, March 17, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service today reminded taxpayers who turned age 70½ during 2016 that, in most cases, they must start receiving required minimum distributions (RMDs) from Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs) and workplace retirement plans by Saturday, April 1, 2017.
- Tax Time Guide: ‘Where's My Refund?' Tool Best Way to Check Tax Refund Status
IR-2017-62, March 16, 2017 – The IRS reminded taxpayers today that while more than 90 percent of federal tax refunds are issued in 21 days or less, some refunds may take longer.
- Winter Storm Extension: Many Businesses Have Extra Time to Request A Six-Month Extension
IR-2017-61, March 15, 2017 – The IRS today granted many businesses affected by this week's severe winter storm additional time to request a six-month extension to file their 2016 federal income tax returns.
- Tax Time Guide: Still Time to Contribute to an IRA for 2016
IR-2017-60, March 15, 2017 – The IRS today reminded taxpayers that they still have time to contribute to an IRA for 2016 and, in many cases, qualify for a deduction or even a tax credit.
- Tax Time Guide: Electronic Payment/Payment Agreement Options Available to Those Who Owe Taxes
IR-2017-59, March 14, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service today reminded taxpayers that it's easier than ever to pay taxes electronically.
- IRS Seeks Volunteers for Taxpayer Advocacy Panel through April 24
IR-2017-58, March 13, 2017 – The IRS is seeking civic-minded volunteers to serve on the TAP, a federal advisory committee that listens to taxpayers, identifies major taxpayer concerns and makes recommendations for improving IRS service and customer satisfaction.
- IRS Seeks Applications for Electronic Tax Administration Advisory Committee
IR-2017-57, March 10, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service is seeking qualified applicants for nomination to the Electronic Tax Administration Advisory Committee (ETAAC).
- Program Report and 2017 Publication 4134, Low Income Taxpayer Clinic List
IR-2017-56, March 9, 2017 – The IRS's LITC Program Office has issued its annual program report, which details how LITCs have provided representation, education, and advocacy for taxpayers who are low income or speak English as a second language.
- Tax Time Guide: Protect Personal, Financial, Tax Information and Computers
IR-2017-55, March 9, 2017– The IRS today reminded taxpayers to be cautious and protect personal, financial and tax information, particularly at tax time.
- Tax Time Guide: Save Time, Make an Appointment before Visiting an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center
IR-2017-54, March 8, 2017 – The IRS today reminded taxpayers that service at all of its Taxpayer Assistance Centers is now by appointment.
- Interest Rates Remain the Same for the Second Quarter of 2017
IR-2017-53, March 7, 2017 – The IRS today announced that interest rates will remain the same for the calendar quarter beginning April 1, 2017.
- Tax Time Guide: IRS Publication 17 Helps with 2016 Taxes
IR-2017-52, March 2, 2017 – Taxpayers can get the most out of various tax benefits and get useful tips on preparing their 2016 federal income tax returns by consulting a free, comprehensive tax guide available on IRS.gov.
- Free Help Preparing Tax Returns Available Nationwide
IR-2017-51, March 1, 2017 –– The IRS reminded taxpayers today that they may be eligible to receive free tax help at nearly 12,000 preparation sites nationwide
- IRS Has Refunds Totaling $1 Billion for People Who Have Not Filed a 2013 Federal Income Tax Return
IR-2017-50, March 1, 2017 – The IRS announced today that unclaimed federal income tax refunds totaling more than $1 billion may be waiting for an estimated 1 million taxpayers who did not file a 2013 federal income tax return.
- Winter 2017 Statistics of Income Bulletin Now Available
IR-2017-49, Feb. 28, 2017 – The IRS today announced that the Winter 2017 issue of the Statistics of Income Bulletin is available on IRS.gov.
- Tax Time Guide: Use IRS.gov to Find Qualified Tax Professionals
IR-2017-48, Feb. 28, 2017 – The IRS today reminded taxpayers that IRS.gov offers many useful tips and information to find a qualified tax professional.
- IRS Criminal Investigation Releases Fiscal Year 2016 Annual Report
IR-2017-47, Feb. 27, 2017 – The IRS today announced the release of its IRS Criminal Investigation (CI) annual report, reflecting the significant accomplishments and criminal enforcement actions taken in fiscal year 2016.
- IRS Releases 100th eBook; Another Way for Taxpayers to Get Helpful Information throughout the Year
IR-2017-46, Feb. 27, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service today unveiled its 100th eBook – a milestone in IRS efforts to share information to meet the changing needs of taxpayers.
- Tax Time Guide: Use Free File for Help with Tax Returns, Extensions and More
IR-2017-45, Feb. 27, 2017 – The IRS reminded the millions of taxpayers who have yet to file that IRS Free File remains available at IRS.gov/FreeFile and through the mobile app, IRS2Go.
- March 1 Tax Deadline Nears for Many Farmers and Fishermen; IRS Direct Pay Offers an Easy Way to Pay Taxes
IR-2017-44, Feb. 24, 2017 – The IRS is reminding farmers and fishermen about Wednesday's deadline to take advantage of special rules that can allow them to forgo making quarterly estimated tax payments.
- IRS Reminds International Taxpayers of Tax Obligations; Clarifies Rules for Tax Withholding Agents
IR-2017-43, Feb. 23, 2017 – The IRStoday reminded non-U.S. citizens who may have taxable income, such as international students and scholars who may be working or receiving scholarship funds, that they may have special requirements to file a U.S. tax return.
- IRS Releases Tax Time Guide: Use IRS.gov Tools to Answer Tax Questions
IR-2017-42, Feb. 23, 2017 –The IRS today encouraged taxpayers to take advantage of the online tools and resources available on IRS.gov as the IRS expects heavy call volume during the last two weeks of February.
- IRS Makes Approved Form 1023-EZ Data Available Online
IR-2017-41, Feb. 22, 2017 – The IRS announced today that publicly available information from approved applications for tax exemption using Form 1023-EZ, Streamlined Application for Recognition of Exemption, is now available electronically for the first time.
- Avoid Today's Rush: Use IRS.gov for Faster Service
IR-2017-40, Feb. 21, 2017 – The Tuesday after Presidents Day marks the single busiest day of the year for telephone calls and visits to the Internal IRS.
- Security Summit Alert: Tax Professionals Warned of New Scam to “Unlock” Their Tax Software Accounts
IR-2017-39, Feb. 17, 2017 – The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry today warned tax professionals to be alert to a new phishing email scam impersonating software providers.
- Avoid the Rush: IRS Extends Service Hours to Assist Taxpayers at Presidents Day Peak
IR-2017-38, Feb. 17, 2017 -- To help meet the high demand to its toll-free call center that typically comes with the Presidents' Day holiday, the Internal Revenue Service is extending its customer service hours.
- IRS Summarizes "Dirty Dozen" List of Tax Scams for 2017
IR-2017-37, Feb. 17, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service today announced the conclusion of its annual "Dirty Dozen" list of tax scams.
- Avoid the Rush: EITC and ACTC Refunds Expected to Arrive the Week of Feb. 27
IR-2017-36, Feb. 16, 2017 – As the IRS begins releasing refunds for taxpayers who claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Additional Child Tax Credit, the tax agency reminded taxpayers that they should not expect refunds to be available in bank accounts or on debit cards until the week of Feb. 27.
- Avoid the Rush: Check IRS.gov Before Making IRS Office Appointment
IR-2017-34, Feb. 15, 2017 – February is not only a peak time for calls to the Internal Revenue Service's call center; it's also the peak time for visits to IRS offices for face-to-face tax help.
- Avoid the Rush: Be Prepared to Validate Identity if Calling the IRS
IR-2017-32, Feb. 14, 2017 – The IRS said mid-February marks the agency's busiest time of the year for telephone calls.
- Avoid the Rush; Use IRS.gov for Quick Answers to Questions
IR-2017-30, Feb. 13, 2017 – The IRS today reminded taxpayers that the next couple of weeks, especially around Presidents' Day, marks the busiest time of year for IRS toll-free phone services.
- IRS Announces Two New Members for the Electronic Tax Administration Advisory Committee
IR-2017-24, Feb. 7, 2017 -- The Internal Revenue Service today announced the selection of two new members for the Electronic Tax Administration Advisory Committee (ETAAC).
- Use IRS Free File Software on Smart Phones or Tablets
IR-2017-21, Feb. 2, 2017 – The IRS today announced that taxpayers now may use their smart phones or tablets to electronically prepare and file their federal and state tax returns through IRS Free File.
- Dangerous W-2 Phishing Scam Evolving; Targeting Schools, Restaurants, Hospitals, Tribal Groups and Others
IR-2017-20, Feb. 2, 2017 – The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry issued an urgent alert today to all employers that the Form W-2 email phishing scam has evolved beyond the corporate world and is spreading to other sectors.
- Information Reporting Program Advisory Committee (IRPAC): IRS Names Seven New Information Reporting Advisory Members
IR-2017-18, Feb. 1, 2017 -- The Internal Revenue Service announced today the selection of seven new members for the Information Reporting Program Advisory Committee (IRPAC), which provides a forum for IRS officials and members of the public to address information reporting issues.
- IRS Answers Common Early Tax Season Refund Questions and Addresses Surrounding Myths
IR-2017-16, Feb 1, 2017 – As millions of people begin filing their tax returns, the Internal Revenue Service reminded taxpayers about some basic tips to keep in mind about their refunds.
- IRS Releases Updated Form 990-EZ; New Options to Help Exempt Organizations Avoid Errors, File a More Accurate Return
IR-2017-14, January 31, 2017 -- The IRS announced today the release of an updated Form 990-EZ, Short Form Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax, that will help tax-exempt organizations avoid common mistakes when filing their annual return.
- EITC Awareness Day: Workers May Qualify for Significant Tax Benefit
IR-2017-12, Jan. 27, 2017 – The IRS today joined partners across the country in promoting the Earned Income Tax Credit on EITC Awareness Day, Friday, Jan. 27, 2017.
- IRS, States and Tax Industry Renew Alert about Form W-2 Scam Targeting Payroll, Human Resource Departments
IR-2017-10, Jan. 25, 2017 – The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry today renewed their warning about an email scam that uses a corporate officer's name to request employee Forms W-2 from company payroll or human resources departments.
- Who Will Prepare Your Tax Return?
IR-2017-04, Jan. 12, 2017 – As the start of tax filing season approaches, the IRS is reminding taxpayers to start thinking about who will prepare their 2016 federal tax return.
- Prepared Remarks of Commissioner John Koskinen on 2017 Filing Season Kickoff
January 5, 2017 – Commissioner John Koskinen speaks at press briefing on 2017 Filing Season Kickoff and Security Summit.
- Tax Professionals Provide Insights on IRS Future State; Feedback Efforts Continue in 2017 as Online Account Shows Strong Early Use
IR-2016-174, Dec. 21, 2016 – As part of ongoing efforts to receive feedback from the tax community and partner groups, the IRS today said tax professionals attending the Nationwide Tax Forums this year highlighted a number of areas to help the agency shape Future State efforts to improve taxpayer service.
- New Private Debt Collection Program to Begin Next Spring; IRS to Contract with Four Agencies; Taxpayer Rights Protected
IR-2016-125, Sept. 26, 2016 – The IRS announced today that it plans to begin private collection of certain overdue federal tax debts next spring and has selected four contractors to implement the new program.
- IRS Statement on Interim Process for Making Advance Monthly Payments of the HCTC for 2016
The IRS expects to be able to make advance monthly payments of the Health Coverage Tax Credit to some individuals beginning in mid-summer 2016 using a limited interim process.
- IRS User Fee Program
May 4, 2016 – Federal law and policy requires agencies, including the IRS, to charge a user fee to recover the cost of providing certain services to the public that confer a special benefit to the recipient.