- IRS Issues Tips on What to do After the Tax-Filing Deadline
IR-2017-88, April 24, 2017 – Tax day has come and gone for most people, but some taxpayers may still be dealing with their taxes.
- IRS Seeks Applications for Information Reporting Program Advisory Committee
IR 2017-87, April 19, 2017 – The IRS is requesting membership nominations for the IRPAC.
- IRS Provides Tips on Determining If It's Really The IRS At Your Door
IR-2017-86, April 19, 2017 – The IRS has created a special new page on IRS.gov to help taxpayers determine if a person visiting their home or place of business claiming to be from the IRS is legitimate or an imposter.
- IRS Offers Last-Minute Tips for Those Who Haven't Filed
IR-2017-85, April 18, 2017 – The federal income tax filing deadline has arrived and the IRS estimates it will receive approximately 12 million 2016 federal income tax returns and nearly 8.4 million extension requests in the final days of the filing season.
- IRS Reminds Taxpayers of April 18 Tax-Filing Deadline
IR-2017-84, April 17, 2017 – The IRS has received 103.6 million 2016 individual income tax returns as of April 7 and expects millions more to be filed by the April 18 deadline.
- Some Taxpayers Get Extensions without Asking; Taxpayers Abroad, in Combat Zones and Disaster Areas Qualify
IR-2017-83, April 14, 2017 – Even though April 18 is the tax-filing deadline for most people, some taxpayers in special situations qualify for more time without having to ask for it, according to the IRS.
- IRS Reminds Those with Foreign Assets of U.S. Tax Obligations; New Filing Deadline Now Applies to Foreign Account Reports
IR-2017-82, April 13, 2017 – The IRS today reminded U.S. citizens and resident aliens, including those with dual citizenship, to check if they have a U.S. tax liability and a filing requirement.
- Tax Deadline Approaches; Nearly 40 Million to File Returns, Extensions by April 18
IR-2017-81, April 13, 2017 – As the April 18 tax filing deadline approaches, the IRS reminded nearly 40 million taxpayers who have yet to file their tax returns that there are a variety of options to help them in the final days of the 2017 tax season.
- IRS Offers Last-Minute Filing Tips; Use Direct Deposit for Quicker Refunds
IR-2017-80, April 12, 2017 – With the April 18 deadline fast approaching, the IRS today offered taxpayers still working on their 2016 taxes a number of tips.
- IRS Urges Taxpayers Not to Rush; Choose Return Preparers Wisely
IR-2017-79, April 11, 2017 – As the tax filing season deadline approaches, the IRS is reminding taxpayers to select who will prepare their 2016 federal tax return carefully.
- IRS Alerts Taxpayers with Limited English Proficiency of Ongoing Phone Scams; Urges Caution Before Paying Unexpected Tax Bills
IR-2017-78, April 10, 2017 – The IRS today warned taxpayers with limited English proficiency of phone scams and email phishing schemes that continue to occur across the country.
- IRS Reminder: Use IRS.gov for Fast Answers as April 18 Deadline Nears
IR-2017-77, April 7, 2017 – With the tax deadline fast approaching, the IRS today reminded taxpayers that they can use IRS.gov to find fast answers to tax questions, use free online tools and find key tax forms and publications.
- IRS Extends Call Service Hours to Assist Taxpayers on Saturdays – April 8 and 15
IR-2017-76, April 6, 2017 – To help meet the high demand to its toll-free call center that typically comes as the tax deadline nears, the IRS is extending its customer service hours.
- Written Testimony of John A. Koskinen Before the Senate Finance Committee on the 2017 Filing Season and IRS Operations April 6, 2017
April 6, 2017 – Commissioner Koskinen provides a written statement on the 2017 Filing Season and IRS Operations.
- IRS Offers Free Help for Last-Minute Filers
IR-2017-75, April 6, 2017 – The IRS wants taxpayers who have yet to file their 2016 federal income tax return to know they can still get last-minute free tax help.
- Prepared Remarks of John A. Koskinen Before the National Press Club Washington, DC April 5, 2017
April 5, 2017 – Commissioner Koskinen speaks before the National Press Club in Washington, DC.
- Private Collection of Some Overdue Federal Taxes Starts in April; Those Affected Will Hear First From IRS; IRS Will Still Handle Most Tax Debts
IR-2017-74, April 4, 2017 – Starting this month, the IRS will begin sending letters to a relatively small group of taxpayers whose overdue federal tax accounts are being assigned to one of four private-sector collection agencies.
- Avoid Common Tax-Filing Errors; IRS Encourages e-filing, Careful Review
IR-2017-73, April 3, 2017 – As the April 18 income tax filing deadline approaches, millions of taxpayers may be rushing to complete their taxes and many may realize they're going to need more time.
- IRS Reminder to Taxpayers Who Haven't Filed 2013 Returns: Time is Running Out; Agency has $1 Billion in Refunds
IR-2017-72, April 3, 2017 – The IRS reminded taxpayers today that unclaimed federal income tax refunds totaling more than $1 billion may be waiting for an estimated 1 million taxpayers who did not file a 2013 federal income tax return.
- Tax Professionals Warned of e-Services Scam; Urged to be Wary of Schemes as Filing Season Deadline Approaches
IR-2017-71, March 31, 2017 – The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry today warned tax professionals to beware of phishing email scams claiming to be from IRS e-Services and of schemes in general as the April 18 deadline nears.
- For Small Business Startups, IRS Explains New Option for Claiming Research Credit; Option Still Available for Those That Already Filed
IR-2017-70, March 30, 2017 – The IRS today issued interim guidance explaining how eligible small businesses can take advantage of a new option enabling them to apply part or all of their research credit against their payroll tax liability, instead of their income tax liability.
- IRS Releases FY 2016 Data Book Showing Range of Tax Data, Including Service and Enforcement Changes
IR-2017-69, March 30, 2017 – The IRS today released the 2016 IRS Data Book, a snapshot of agency activities for the fiscal year.
- Free File Tops 50 Million Users; Saves Taxpayers $1.5 Billion Since Inception
IR-2017-68, March 28, 2017 – The IRS announced today that Free File recently surpassed 50 million users since the program started.
- IRS Reminds Seniors to Remain on Alert to Phone Scams during Tax Season
IR-2017-67, March 23, 2017 – With the 2017 tax season underway, the IRS reminds seniors to remain alert to aggressive and threatening phone calls by criminals impersonating IRS agents.
- Tax Time Guide: Get an Automatic Six More Months to File; Free File Now Available for Extensions
IR-2017-65, March 21, 2017 – The IRS reminded taxpayers today that if they are unable to file their tax returns by this year's April 18 deadline there is an easy, online option to get more time to complete their return.
- IRS, States and Tax Industry Warn of Last-Minute Email Scams
IR-2017-64, March 17, 2017 – The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry today warned both tax professionals and taxpayers of last-minute phishing email scams, especially those requesting last-minute deposit changes for refunds or account updates.
- IRS Seeks Volunteers for Taxpayer Advocacy Panel through April 24
IR-2017-58, March 13, 2017 – The IRS is seeking civic-minded volunteers to serve on the TAP, a federal advisory committee that listens to taxpayers, identifies major taxpayer concerns and makes recommendations for improving IRS service and customer satisfaction.
- IRS Seeks Applications for Electronic Tax Administration Advisory Committee
IR-2017-57, March 10, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service is seeking qualified applicants for nomination to the Electronic Tax Administration Advisory Committee (ETAAC).
- Program Report and 2017 Publication 4134, Low Income Taxpayer Clinic List
IR-2017-56, March 9, 2017 – The IRS's LITC Program Office has issued its annual program report, which details how LITCs have provided representation, education, and advocacy for taxpayers who are low income or speak English as a second language.
- Interest Rates Remain the Same for the Second Quarter of 2017
IR-2017-53, March 7, 2017 – The IRS today announced that interest rates will remain the same for the calendar quarter beginning April 1, 2017.
- IRS Criminal Investigation Releases Fiscal Year 2016 Annual Report
IR-2017-47, Feb. 27, 2017 – The IRS today announced the release of its IRS Criminal Investigation (CI) annual report, reflecting the significant accomplishments and criminal enforcement actions taken in fiscal year 2016.
- IRS Makes Approved Form 1023-EZ Data Available Online
IR-2017-41, Feb. 22, 2017 – The IRS announced today that publicly available information from approved applications for tax exemption using Form 1023-EZ, Streamlined Application for Recognition of Exemption, is now available electronically for the first time.
- Security Summit Alert: Tax Professionals Warned of New Scam to “Unlock” Their Tax Software Accounts
IR-2017-39, Feb. 17, 2017 – The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry today warned tax professionals to be alert to a new phishing email scam impersonating software providers.
- Dangerous W-2 Phishing Scam Evolving; Targeting Schools, Restaurants, Hospitals, Tribal Groups and Others
IR-2017-20, Feb. 2, 2017 – The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry issued an urgent alert today to all employers that the Form W-2 email phishing scam has evolved beyond the corporate world and is spreading to other sectors.
- EITC Awareness Day: Workers May Qualify for Significant Tax Benefit
IR-2017-12, Jan. 27, 2017 – The IRS today joined partners across the country in promoting the Earned Income Tax Credit on EITC Awareness Day, Friday, Jan. 27, 2017.
- Budget in Brief FY 2017
This summarizes how the budget request will enable the agency to meet its strategic goals: improve customer service and enhance enforcement of the tax laws.
- IRS Charts a Path Forward with Immediate Actions
The IRS is outlining new actions and next steps to fix problems uncovered with the IRS' review of tax-exempt applications and improve the wider processes and operations in place at the IRS.
- Questions and Answers on 501(c) Organizations
May 15, 2013 – The IRS has received a variety of questions related to the exempt organization issues recently raised. The Q&As answer some basics on the issue.
- Compliance & Enforcement News
A collection of recent news releases, statements and other items related to IRS compliance and enforcement efforts.