- IRS Cautions Taxpayers to Watch for Summertime Scams
IR-2017-112, June 26, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service today issued a warning that tax-related scams continue across the nation even though the tax filing season has ended for most taxpayers.
- Security Summit Warns of New Phishing Email Targeting Tax Pros
IR-2017-111, June 23, 2017 – The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry today warned tax professionals to beware of phishing emails purporting to be from a tax software education provider and seeking extensive amounts of sensitive preparer data.
- IRS Website Provides Tools to Help Small Businesses Understand Employment Taxes
IR-2017-110, June 22, 2017 –The Internal Revenue Service reminds small businesses of the many free products available to help them understand and comply with the law.
- IRS Now Accepting Renewal Applications for ITINs Set to Expire by End of 2017
IR-2017-109, June 21, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service is now accepting renewal applications for the Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) set to expire at the end of 2017.
- Orlando IRS Tax Forum Registration Deadline is June 27
IR-2017-108, June 15, 2017 – Tax professionals wishing to attend the IRS Nationwide Tax Forum in Orlando, Fla., can save $115 by registering soon, according to the Internal Revenue Service.
- IRS Warns of New Phone Scam Involving Bogus Certified Letters; Reminds People to Remain Vigilant Against Scams, Schemes this Summer
IR-2017-107, June 15, 2017 -– The Internal Revenue Service today warned people to beware of a new scam linked to the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS), where fraudsters call to demand an immediate tax payment through a prepaid debit card. This scam is being reported across the country, so taxpayers should be alert to the details.
- IRS Continues to Expand Taxpayer Services; Adds New Features to Taxpayers Online Account
IR-2017-106, June 13, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service announced today the addition of several new features to the online account tool first introduced late last year as part of the IRS's commitment to improve and expand taxpayer services.
- Taxpayers Abroad Must File by June 15; Extensions Available; New Filing Deadline Now Applies to Foreign Account Reports
IR-2017-105, June 12, 2017 – The IRS today reminded taxpayers living and working abroad that they must file their 2016 federal income tax return by Thursday, June 15.
- Interest Rates Remain the Same for the Third Quarter of 2017
IR-2017-104, June 9, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service today announced that interest rates will remain the same for the calendar quarter beginning July 1, 2017.
- IRS Approves First Group of Certified Professional Employer Organizations; More Expected in Coming Months
IR-2017-103, June 1, 2017 -- The Internal Revenue Service today issued notices of certification to 84 organizations that applied for voluntary certification as a Certified Professional Employer Organization (CPEO).
- For Letter Rulings and Similar Requests: Electronic Payment of User Fees Starts June 15; Replaces Paying by Check
IR-2017-102, June 1, 2017 – Beginning June 15, taxpayers requesting letter rulings, closing agreements and certain other rulings from the Internal Revenue Service will need to make user fee payments electronically using the federal government's Pay.gov system.
- Spring 2017 Statistics of Income Bulletin Now Available
IR-2017-101, May 30, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service today announced that the Spring 2017 Statistics of Income Bulletin is now available on IRS.gov.
- IRS Tax Forum ‘Early Bird' Registration Ends May 31; Tax Pros Can Save By Registering Early
IR-2017-100, May 23, 2017
The Internal Revenue Service is reminding tax professionals that reduced cost "early bird" registration for all five 2017 IRS Nationwide Tax Forums ends May 31 at 6 p.m. Eastern time.
- Prepared Remarks of John A. Koskinen Commissioner Internal Revenue Service Before the Council for Electronic Revenue Communications Enhancement Arlington, VA May 18, 2017
May 18, 2017 – Commissioner Koskinen provides a written statement on the 2017 Filing Season and IRS Operations.
- IRS Announces Three New Members for Advisory Committee on Tax Exempt and Government Entities
IR-2017-99, May 18, 2017
WASHINGTON– The Internal Revenue Service announced today the appointment of three new members of the Advisory Committee on Tax Exempt and Government Entities (ACT). ACT presents reports and recommendations to IRS leadership at a June 7 public meeting.
- For Hurricane Preparedness Week: IRS Offers Tips to Taxpayers Preparing for Hurricanes, Floods and Other Natural Disasters
IR-2017-98, May 9, 2017 – With Hurricane Preparedness Week in progress and the start of the Atlantic hurricane season looming on June 1, the IRS offered advice to taxpayers who may be affected by these types of storms, as well as other natural disasters.
- Many Tax-Exempt Organizations Must File by May 15; Do Not Include Social Security Numbers or Personal Data
IR-2017-97, May 8, 2017 – The IRS today reminded tax-exempt organizations that many have a filing deadline for Form 990-series information returns in mid-May.
- IRS: Home Office Deduction Often Overlooked by Small Business Owners
IR-2017-96, May 5, 2017 – The IRS today reminded small business owners who work from a home office that there are two options for claiming the Home Office Deduction.
- Registration Now Open for the 2017 IRS Nationwide Tax Forums
IR-2017-95, May 5, 2017 – Tax professionals can earn up to 18 Continuing Professional Education credits this summer at the IRS Nationwide Tax Forums.
- IRS Accepting Applications for 2018 Low Income Taxpayer Clinic Grants
IR-2017-94, May 5, 2017 – The IRS today announced that the application period for LITC grants for calendar year 2018 will run from May 1 to June 20, 2017.
- Small Business Week Reminder: Startups Can Choose New Option for Claiming Research Credit
IR-2017-93, May 3, 2017 – Eligible small business startups can now choose to apply part or all of their research credit against their payroll tax liability, instead of their income tax liability, according to the IRS.
- Small Business Week Reminder: Work Opportunity Tax Credit can Help Employers Hiring New Workers; Key Certification Requirement Applies
IR-2017-92, May 2, 2017 – The IRS today reminded employers planning to hire new workers that there's a valuable tax credit available to those who hire long-term unemployment recipients and others certified by their state workforce agency.
- IRS Seeks Nominations for the Internal Revenue Service Advisory Council
IR-2017-91, April 28, 2017 – The IRS today announced it is accepting nominations for the IRSAC.
- For Small Business Week, IRS Highlights Products for Established and Emerging Businesses
IR-2017-90, April 28, 2017 – In recognition of National Small Business Week the IRS is highlighting products to help small business owners and self-employed individuals understand and meet their tax obligations.
- IRS Sees Millions of Tax Returns Last Days of Tax Filing Season
IR-2017-89, April 25, 2017 – The IRS today announced that the agency has received 135.6 million returns this year following a late surge of filings last week.
- IRS Issues Tips on What to do After the Tax-Filing Deadline
IR-2017-88, April 24, 2017 – Tax day has come and gone for most people, but some taxpayers may still be dealing with their taxes.
- IRS Seeks Applications for Information Reporting Program Advisory Committee
IR 2017-87, April 19, 2017 – The IRS is requesting membership nominations for the IRPAC.
- IRS Provides Tips on Determining If It's Really The IRS At Your Door
IR-2017-86, April 19, 2017 – The IRS has created a special new page on IRS.gov to help taxpayers determine if a person visiting their home or place of business claiming to be from the IRS is legitimate or an imposter.
- IRS Reminds Those with Foreign Assets of U.S. Tax Obligations; New Filing Deadline Now Applies to Foreign Account Reports
IR-2017-82, April 13, 2017 – The IRS today reminded U.S. citizens and resident aliens, including those with dual citizenship, to check if they have a U.S. tax liability and a filing requirement.
- Some Taxpayers Get Extensions without Asking; Taxpayers Abroad, in Combat Zones and Disaster Areas Qualify
IR-2017-83, April 14, 2017 – Even though April 18 is the tax-filing deadline for most people, some taxpayers in special situations qualify for more time without having to ask for it, according to the IRS.
- IRS Alerts Taxpayers with Limited English Proficiency of Ongoing Phone Scams; Urges Caution Before Paying Unexpected Tax Bills
IR-2017-78, April 10, 2017 – The IRS today warned taxpayers with limited English proficiency of phone scams and email phishing schemes that continue to occur across the country.
- Written Testimony of John A. Koskinen Before the Senate Finance Committee on the 2017 Filing Season and IRS Operations April 6, 2017
April 6, 2017 – Commissioner Koskinen provides a written statement on the 2017 Filing Season and IRS Operations.
- Prepared Remarks of John A. Koskinen Before the National Press Club Washington, DC April 5, 2017
April 5, 2017 – Commissioner Koskinen speaks before the National Press Club in Washington, DC.
- Private Collection of Some Overdue Federal Taxes Starts in April; Those Affected Will Hear First From IRS; IRS Will Still Handle Most Tax Debts
IR-2017-74, April 4, 2017 – Starting this month, the IRS will begin sending letters to a relatively small group of taxpayers whose overdue federal tax accounts are being assigned to one of four private-sector collection agencies.
- For Small Business Startups, IRS Explains New Option for Claiming Research Credit; Option Still Available for Those That Already Filed
IR-2017-70, March 30, 2017 – The IRS today issued interim guidance explaining how eligible small businesses can take advantage of a new option enabling them to apply part or all of their research credit against their payroll tax liability, instead of their income tax liability.
- IRS Releases FY 2016 Data Book Showing Range of Tax Data, Including Service and Enforcement Changes
IR-2017-69, March 30, 2017 – The IRS today released the 2016 IRS Data Book, a snapshot of agency activities for the fiscal year.
- IRS Reminds Seniors to Remain on Alert to Phone Scams during Tax Season
IR-2017-67, March 23, 2017 – With the 2017 tax season underway, the IRS reminds seniors to remain alert to aggressive and threatening phone calls by criminals impersonating IRS agents.
- IRS, States and Tax Industry Warn of Last-Minute Email Scams
IR-2017-64, March 17, 2017 – The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry today warned both tax professionals and taxpayers of last-minute phishing email scams, especially those requesting last-minute deposit changes for refunds or account updates.
- IRS Seeks Applications for Electronic Tax Administration Advisory Committee
IR-2017-57, March 10, 2017 – The Internal Revenue Service is seeking qualified applicants for nomination to the Electronic Tax Administration Advisory Committee (ETAAC).
- Program Report and 2017 Publication 4134, Low Income Taxpayer Clinic List
IR-2017-56, March 9, 2017 – The IRS's LITC Program Office has issued its annual program report, which details how LITCs have provided representation, education, and advocacy for taxpayers who are low income or speak English as a second language.
- Interest Rates Remain the Same for the Second Quarter of 2017
IR-2017-53, March 7, 2017 – The IRS today announced that interest rates will remain the same for the calendar quarter beginning April 1, 2017.
- IRS Makes Approved Form 1023-EZ Data Available Online
IR-2017-41, Feb. 22, 2017 – The IRS announced today that publicly available information from approved applications for tax exemption using Form 1023-EZ, Streamlined Application for Recognition of Exemption, is now available electronically for the first time.
- Security Summit Alert: Tax Professionals Warned of New Scam to “Unlock” Their Tax Software Accounts
IR-2017-39, Feb. 17, 2017 – The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry today warned tax professionals to be alert to a new phishing email scam impersonating software providers.
- Dangerous W-2 Phishing Scam Evolving; Targeting Schools, Restaurants, Hospitals, Tribal Groups and Others
IR-2017-20, Feb. 2, 2017 – The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry issued an urgent alert today to all employers that the Form W-2 email phishing scam has evolved beyond the corporate world and is spreading to other sectors.
- Budget in Brief FY 2017
This summarizes how the budget request will enable the agency to meet its strategic goals: improve customer service and enhance enforcement of the tax laws.
- IRS Charts a Path Forward with Immediate Actions
The IRS is outlining new actions and next steps to fix problems uncovered with the IRS' review of tax-exempt applications and improve the wider processes and operations in place at the IRS.
- Questions and Answers on 501(c) Organizations
May 15, 2013 – The IRS has received a variety of questions related to the exempt organization issues recently raised. The Q&As answer some basics on the issue.
- Fiscal Year 2016 Enforcement and Service Results
The Fiscal Year 2016 Enforcement and Service Results (tables) provide the dollars collected from the examination (audit) and collection functions of the IRS. The results also tally the results of various taxpayer assistance programs.
- Compliance & Enforcement News
A collection of recent news releases, statements and other items related to IRS compliance and enforcement efforts.